Jeff Fisher needs to make some additions to his coaching staff after the firing of defensive coordinator Chuck Cecil and DL coach Jim Washburn and RB coach Craig Johnson leaving for other jobs. There is also the possibility that the Titans will look to hire a quarterbacks coach, as Dowell Loggains was promoted last minute after Kennedy Pola left for USC. Loggains will likely stay on staff, but it is unknown whether he will remain the QB coach. The coaching tree has come up with the following potential replacements:
Dick Jauron - Philadelphia Eagles Defensive Backs Coach
- Detroit Lions defensive coordinator in 2004 and '05. Fred Graves coached the Lion receivers in 2005.
- Green Bay Packers defensive backs coach from 1986-94. He was assistant defensive back coach Tim Hauck's position coach in Green Bay from 1991-94.
- Chicago Bears head coach from 1993-98. Dave McGinnis was the Bears' linebackers coach from 1986-95.
- Dallas Cowboys defensive coordinator from 1989-92. Alan Lowry was an assistant with the Cowboys from 1982-90.
- Not a great DC resume judging from his time in Houston, but may be a more realistic candidate for LB coach if Dave McGinnis is promoted to coordinator.
- LB coach for the Oilers from 1992-94 after five years as a scout for the team and a two year playing career in Houston.
- Denver Broncos LB coach from 1995-99, where he was on staff with Mike Heimerdinger, who coached receivers. Also, Tim Hauck played for the Broncos in 1995 and '96.
Other names in consideration: Bob Slowik, Redskins; John Marshall, ex-Raiders.
Jeremy Bates - ex-Seattle Seahawks Offensive Coordinator
- Offensive assistant for the Denver Broncos in 2006 and '07 when Mike Heimerdinger coached QBs.
- QB coach for the New York Jets in 2005 when Heimerdinger was the team's offensive coordinator.
- Dallas Cowboys offensive coordinator from 1986-88, where he worked with Alan Lowry, who was the receivers coach.
- QB coach at USC from 1976-80. Jeff Fisher played at USC from 1977-80.
- Arizona Cardinals offensive coordinator in 2001 and '02, when Dave McGinnis was the Cardinals' head coach.
- Seattle Seahawks QB coach from 1995-98. Tim Hauck played for Seattle in 1997.
- Assistant OL coach at USC in 1977, which was Jeff Fisher's freshman year with the Trojans.
RUNNING BACKS COACH
Sherman Smith - Seattle Seahawks Running Backs Coach
- Coached the Titans/Oilers running backs from 1995-2007.
- Wouldn't likely leave Seattle unless he is let go, which is not probable but possible with the Seahawks hiring a new offensive coordinator.
- Played for the Oilers from 1991-95. Jeff Fisher joined the staff in '94, and Brown was a teammate of both Mike Munchak and Marcus Robertson.
- Graduate assistant at Duke in 2004 and '05 before becoming their RB coach in 2006. Marty Galbraith was the offensive coordinator at Duke in 2004.
- Played RB at Duke from 1994-96. John Zernhelt was the offensive line coach at Duke in 1994 and '95.
DEFENSIVE LINE COACH
Expect the DL coach to have ties to the new defensive coordinator. Since he hasn't been hired yet, here are a few names with ties to those already on staff:
Dwaine Board, ex-Raiders; Greg Robinson, ex-Michigan; Kerry Locklin, ex-Jets; Brian Baker, ex-Panthers; Andre Patterson, UTEP.