Ron Cooper has left the LSU staff to become the new defensive backs coach for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Here are some possibilities for potential replacements to fill the Tiger's open position on staff:
Larry Slade - Louisville Defensive Backs Coach
- Joined the Louisville staff in 2009, Steve Kragthorpe's last year as head coach.
- DB coach at Tennessee from 1999-2008, where he worked on staff with John Chavis, who was the Vols' defensive coordinator.
- DB coach at Texas A&M from 1994-98. Steve Ensminger was the offensive coordinator at A&M from 1994-96 and Steve Kragthorpe was on the Aggies staff from 1997-2000.
Corey Raymond - Nebraska Defensive Backs Coach
- Began his coaching career as a graduate assistant as LSU from 2006-08.
- Played DB at LSU from 1988-91.
Lance Guidry - Western Kentucky Defensive Coordinator
- Defensive coordinator at McNeese State from 2000-04, where he worked on staff with new LSU WR coach Adam Henry.
- Played DB at McNeese State from 1990-93, where he played four years with Henry, who was a WR on the team.
- Is a native of Welsh, LA. He may be known better recently as the father of former Tennessee DB Janzen Jackson.
Mike Mallory - New Orleans Saints Assistant Defensive Backs Coach
- DB coach at Louisville in 2007, Steve Kragthorpe's first year as head coach.
- Mike's brother, Doug, coached DBs at LSU and Oklahoma State under Les Miles and played at Michigan, where Miles was an assistant Doug's senior season. Another brother, Curt, played at Michigan while Miles was on the Wolverines staff.
Grady Brown - South Carolina Defensive Backs Coach
- Worked at LSU in 2009 as an assistant strength and conditioning coach. Brown played for and coached with Ron Cooper at Alabama A&M. Obviously Cooper is gone now, but that's the connection that brought Brown to LSU in '07.