With Mike Martz leaving the Bears staff, Mike Tice has been promoted to offensive coordinator. Shane Day also left the staff, so there are now openings at the QB and OL coaching positions. We planned to put together a list of QB coach candidates, but each of our names (Jeremy Bates, Dirk Koetter, Clyde Christensen) has already either taken another job or been taken out of the running for the job already. Here is our list of potential candidates to fill the OL coach spot:
Steve Loney - ex-St. Louis Rams Offensive Line Coach
- Offensive line coach for the Minnesota Vikings from 2002-04 and was the team's offensive coordinator in '05, where he worked under head coach Mike Tice.
- OL coach at Colorado State from 1989-92. Mike DeBord was on the Colorado State staff in 1990 and '91.
Harold Goodwin - Pittsburgh Steelers Offensive Assistant
- Assistant offensive line coach for the Bears from 2004-06, Lovie Smith's first three years as head coach.
- OL coach at Central Michigan from 2000-03, where he worked under head coach Mike DeBord.
- Played OL at Michigan from 1992-94, followed by two seasons as a student assistant and one year as a graduate assistant for the Wolverines. DeBord was the OL coach at Michigan from 1992-96 before being promoted to offensive coordinator in '97.
Pete Metzelaars - ex-Indianapolis Colts Offensive Line Coach
- Played tight end for the Seahawks from 1982-84. Mike Tice played TE for the Seahawks from 1981-88.