Going into his second season as head coach at Northern Illinois, Dave Doeren will have three new members of his coaching staff. Eddie Faulkner left for Pitt, and he has already been replaced by Frisman Jackson, who was the WR coach at Akron. Matt Canada took the offensive coordinator job at Wisconsin and LB coach Tom Matukewicz became the defensive coordinator at Toledo. Here are our potential replacements for the two remaining openings on the Huskies staff:
Mike Dunbar - ex-New Mexico State Offensive Coordinator
- Head coach at Northern Iowa from 1997-2000, where he worked with Jay Niemann, who was an assistant on his staff and was his defensive coordinator in 1999 and 2000.
- Graduate assistant at Ole Miss in 2005 and '06, where he worked with Ryan Nielsen, who was the Rebels defensive line coach from 2005-07.
- Just returned to his alma mater when Hugh Freeze was hired, but may be lured away if given the chance to be a coordinator.
- Played receiver at Wisconsin from 2004-08. Dave Doeren was on staff at Wisconsin from 2006-10.
- Wouldn't be hired as offensive coordinator, as he is only at the beginning his coaching career. He could fit in as WR coach, if Bob Cole were to be promoted to offensive coordinator and shift over to QB coach.
Randall McCray - ex-Pitt Outside Linebackers/Special Teams Coach
- Coached at Wisconsin from 2006-09, working with Dave Doeren each of those four seasons.
- LB coach at Ole Miss in 2007 after working as a graduate assistant with the team in 2005 and '06. Ryan Nielsen was the Rebels DL coach from 2005-07.
- Played linebacker at Ohio State from 1999-2003. Richard McNutt played DB for the Buckeyes from 1999-2002.
- Charlie Camp, ex-Akron
- Craig Aukerman, ex-Jaguars