John DeFilippo has left San Jose State to join the Raiders as their new quarterbacks coach. Here are some possible candidates to fill the opening for the Spartans offensive coordinator position:
Mike Sanford - ex-Louisville Offensive Coordinator
- Head coach at UNLV from 2005-09. Gary Bernardi was his TE coach and Andy Larussa was a graduate assistant with the Rebels from 2005-08.
- WR coach at USC from 1989-96. Bernardi coached tight ends and special teams at USC from 1987-92.
Bob Toledo - ex-Tulane Head Coach
- Head coach at UCLA from 1996-2002 after spending two seasons as the offensive coordinator for the Bruins in 1994 and '95. Gary Bernardi was the TE coach at UCLA from 1993-2003.
- Was born and raised in San Jose. He started his college playing career at SJSU in 1964 before transferring to San Jose City College and ultimately went on to become an All-American at division II San Francisco State.
Terry Shea - Virginia Destroyers (UFL) Offensive Coordinator
- Head coach at SJSU in 1990 and '91, compiling a 15-6-2 record before leaving for a job at Stanford. Shea was also the offensive coordinator at San Jose State from 1984-86.
- Offensive coordinator at Cal from 1987-89, where he worked on staff with Kent Baer, who was the team's defensive coordinator.
- Was an assistant at Utah State from 1976-83, where he worked with Baer, who was on the Aggies staff from 77-85.